About Me

My photo
"Weird behavior is natural in smart children.. like curiosity is to a kitten." Hunter S. Thompson

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Cooter Lives!!

click the pics to see a bigger view.










August 2007. I spent a couple of weeks in Hilo, HI visiting my niece who was having a baby. While I was there, I did a bunch of sewing projects. We were going to recover the couch even!!! One of the fun projects was creating a doll for Levi. He's not really interested in dolls (not remotely) but I had fun doing it anyway. (not remotely means: he can tell you every kind of truck and heavy equipment- garbage truck, container truck, excavator etc. but he never hugged his doll like a girl would)

I sketched a pattern on paper, cut the torso & limbs out of flannel, and stuffed the parts.


When I would show Levi the doll parts, he wouldn't touch it, but run away. I guess the stray arm or leg gave him the creeps. I showed this picture to my husband and he said, "No wonder he was scared, that looks like a freak doll!!"

Anyway I got his arms & legs sewn on and started embroidering his face. After the face was on Levi was fine with the doll. Next I put on hair. I stitched in a piece of yarn about 6" long, then knotted it several times.


I decided on some Farmer Johns for pants. We toyed with the idea of tying the hair in lots of knots and making it kind of a Rasta Kid. Finally I just thought he should be a free spirit, no shirt, no shoes. I used the legs from an old pair of jeans and put together some overalls. I had red buttons, but Levi lost them.


I wanted to name him something silly. I thought he was kind of a Napoleon Dynamite baby only cuter and possibly cuddly. So I called him Scooter. But guess what? Yup. Now he is officially Cooter.


Here we are making Cooter's pants. Notice the pudgy little hand ready on the back-up button! so cute.


No comments: