About Me

My photo
"Weird behavior is natural in smart children.. like curiosity is to a kitten." Hunter S. Thompson

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Laura's Jacket

Here's my daughter Laura and the story of her Jacket.



Last Summer my daughter Laura turned 21. She had purchased a corduroy "hoodie" at the Okanagan Barter Faire. It wasn't very well made, and she told me she knew I could make them much better. So for her birthday she requested a patchwork jacket with a Tree.
I started working on that idea, but it definitely had a different idea of where it was going!
I began with the back. I was going to make patchwork with corduroy, but I didn't like the colors I had available so I went with jeans. I had these 2 long pieces and put them together. Then I made the Tree. When Laura was little I used to tell her that I found her in a Magical tree with a little door. So that was the theme for the tree. There are gold buttons for leaves and a tiny gold button for a door knob.



At this point I realized that I was not going to make a jean jacket, but make an altered sweatshirt instead. I took apart a black large Hoody and appliquéd Spring on one sleeve, and Autumn on the other. I saved Summer for the jean vest front.


The vest fronts are more jeans, batik flowers growing out of the pockets. I finished up with a sun/moon face on the front of the sweatshirt. There was such an expanse of unadorned black at the top, I thought it needed a necklace or brooch. :)

No comments: