About Me

My photo
"Weird behavior is natural in smart children.. like curiosity is to a kitten." Hunter S. Thompson

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Large Scale Cookie House






Here's the gingerbread fan at the top of my 1890's victorian house. It's been rebuilt and primed and is ready for paint. What a huge project.





It took my husband all last summer and most of this summer to get the major repairs done. He replaced rotten siding, rebuilt the victorian trimwork that adorns 3 gable ends. He made siding and gingerbread for the back of the house which was a 2 story blank wall. He's jacked up the house to get rooms level, dug out a pile of rubble to find there was a floor in the cellar. I can't list it all here because It's a book!


It took a year to pick colors. We painted big patches on the house and left them for months. There is a high level of detail on this little old victorian house!! We looked at so many houses that we liked. The final result is 6 colors of paint.

In order to come up with the colors for the gingerbread on the gable, I painted a dozen or more samples with the actual house paints.






I climbed up the scaffold with my little bag of paints. I felt shakey at first but you get used to it after a few minutes.







Six colors!!!

No comments: